47 Japanese Banks Used Ripple To Execute Trial Money Transfer

47 Japanese Banks Used Ripple To Execute Trial Money Transfer

Blockchain is venturing into production, says Brad Garlinghouse, Ripple CEO, after a group of 47 Japanese banks successfully executed a trial implemen

Explore Blockchain: Enter BlockShow Europe 2017, April 6
Blockchain: The Promising Global Transactions Platform
Liverpool Launches Digital Currency Based On The Blockchain

Blockchain is venturing into production, says Brad Garlinghouse, Ripple CEO, after a group of 47 Japanese banks successfully executed a trial implementation of Ripple technology. SBI Ripple Asia, a company jointly-owned by fintech company Ripple, and SBI Holdings, a Japanese financial services firm, announced yesterday that the successful trial utilized a Ripple-driven cloud payment platform RC Cloud, allowing real-time domestic and worldwide money transfers.

The pilot project examined the blockchain-centered RC Cloud infrastructure while implementing, assessing regulatory observance, operational risks, standardization between banks and the interfaces that link to the bank’s accounting systems.

SBI Ripple

Founded early 2016, SBI Ripple is mainly owned by SBI Group which owns 60 percent of the company shares, with Ripple holding the remaining 40 percent of the shares. SBI will realize 60 percent cost decrease with international transfers using Ripple token XRP. Utilizing both Ripple blockchain and token, transfers will cost 8.3 base points (bps) as opposed to the 20.9 bps versus the settlement amount through the present wire system. Transfers cost for authorization currency on Ripple blockchain will reduce by a third in comparison to traditional expenses.

Recording substantially lower costs and instantaneous transfers, unlike the traditional wire transfer system, the trial program proved noteworthy in Japan. The group implies more than one-third of Japanese banks are members; a commercial roll-out will, therefore, result in an extensive application of blockchain technology in the country’s commercial financial sector.

Banks Uptake

The consortium met in late last year (November 2016), with the two partners, SBI Holding and minor SBI Ripple Asia, cooperating to guide the working group. It was founded with 42 member banks. Later on, in an attempt to combine domestic with foreign exchange services using one platform (Blockchain), digital and Internet-only financial institutions joined in and became a part of the association. Fittingly, the working consortium was named The Japan Bank Consortium and resolved to Provide Domestic as well as Cross-Border Payments centrally.

Ripple CEO called Brad Garlighouse claimed: Consortiums are easy to find in this industry, although the feature making this grouping significant is these prominent Japanese banks determined on an apparent use situation and shifting blockchain into production. This position is a solid example that our plan is already impacting, positively, how money is remitted around the globe.

Ripples efforts to expedite international inter-bank payments using its blockchain is, additionally, underlined by the company’s launch of GPSG (Global Payment Steering Group). Established in September 2016 with six founding members composed of banks across several continents including Santander, ANZ, and Bank of America, the functioning group will attempt to create and maintain Ripple transactions regulations while ratifying principles over blockchain.

More lately, Abu Dhabi’s biggest bank implemented real-time cross-border payments utilizing the Ripple blockchain so as to benefit clients located in the Asia-Middle East transfer corridor. Private Indian lender, called Axis, the third biggest private bank in India, will also start using Ripples technology to execute cross-border remittances following a successful trial.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 1
  • comment-avatar
    Taylor 5 months

    Did you mean the headline to say China? It seems like this article is about Japan.